Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wade Davis.


If I had to name a hero, as in someone I look up to, it would be Wade Davis

He is probably the world's most interesting man. He's super intelligent, he's one of the best photographers I've ever seen, he's the most well-traveled, he's the most open minded and has had the most experiences of anybody I've ever heard of. He has written some of my all-time favorite books. He must be fearless, as he has probably done more crazy drugs than anybody, from all corners of the earth. (You can hear his description of some of the highs in the video at the end of this post.)

 Photo by Wade Davis.

He's an ethnobotanist from British Colombia, Canada which, for some reason, makes him seem like a 'real human' to me, not some untouchable professor from the USA or some crazy explorer from China. I actually had the pleasure of seeing him speak at the University of Victoria about six years ago about the deforestation of the amazon and about rubber. This man made rubber the most fascinating subject I had ever heard. And I was so star-struck that I basically ran out of there when he was done because I wouldn't know what to say to him if I ran into him afterward. I guess it's what people feel like with their favorite band, I'm a total fan-girl, haha.

Photo by Wade Davis.

Wade Davis often speaks out about the horrifying prospect of language loss, and languages going extinct, which, if you are a long-time reader of Four Eyes Rella, you know is one of the issues I am most passionate about, linguistically and culturally speaking. 

He's now an official National Geographic Explorer. That's his job title.

Anyway, I'll end this rave and let you get a small taste of his awesomeness. This twenty minute video is worth it just for his photos. Oh, and the story about the shit knife.



For more about Wade Davis, you can click here for more TED Talks or here for his National Geographic profile, or here for an unoficial Wade Davis fan website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digame entonces.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...